After "completion of studies" (last day of exams – NOT graduation ceremony -- since some students “complete studies” in December), you may remain in the United States up to 60 days to get your affairs in order (before returning to your home country). If you are on OPT or CPT, the 60 days begins at the end of that program.


Optional Practical Training

International students who are completing their bachelor degree may apply to the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services) for OPT. Optional Practical Training is a one year extension on your visa to allow you to work in the United States during the year after graduation to put to use what you learned while earning your degree. You should apply at the beginning of your last semester. Optional Practical Training is pretty much automatic, but it takes up to two months or longer to be approved after you apply. If you want to apply for the one year OPT, come by my office and pick up application information. The application fee is now $380.00 and you will need two passport style photographs that will cost about at Walgreens Drug Store. You must be “in status” and in good standing with MMC to apply.


Curricular Practical Training

CPT is allowed (whether paid or unpaid) if it is a graduation requirement for your major or directly related to your degree program. If you are involved in any kind of internship program connected with your graduation requirements (i.e. Sport Management major) that information must be entered into your electronic SEVIS record. Come see me to give me that information or email me with the details.


Change of Address and/or Employer Information

Even while you are on OPT or CPT and no longer physically at Martin Methodist College, you are still in my SEVIS records until after your OPT year (or CPT) plus 60 days have elapsed. You must keep me informed of your address and your employer name and address so that I can enter that information into your SEVIS electronic record as required by immigration law and you must get my signature on your I-20 for re-entry if you leave the United States.

Any questions should be directed to Robin L. Hood, PDSO, International Student Adviser, at 931.363.9800 or, located in Colonial Hall, 433 W. Madison Street, Pulaski, TN 38478.

Martin Methodist College

433 West Madison St.
Pulaski, TN 38478

Title IX Information