- Church Relations
- Education Services
Ben Alford Scholars
SATURDAY, FEBRUARY 17, 2018
** To request more information please contact, Mrs. Shana Hibdon, Executive Assistant at 931.424.7347 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
What is the Ben Alford Scholarship Competition?
The Cal Turner, Jr. Center for Church Leadership for Martin Methodist College awards two or more Ben Alford Scholarships each year to students showing exceptional promise in the area of church leadership. These are full tuition scholarships, renewable for all four years. Recipients will be determined by a special committee in a competition held on campus. The competition includes an on-campus essay and personal interview.
- Current and active member of a congregation with Methodist heritage including United Methodist Church, AME, AME Zion, CME, AUMP, or UAME
- A GPA of 2.75 or above
- The desire for a long-term commitment to the church as either lay or clergy
The scholarships are open to any major; applicants need not work in paid ministry in order to be eligible. To apply for the Ben Alford Scholarship Competition, you must submit the following:
- MMC Application for Admission
- Ben Alford Scholars Developing Church Leaders Application
- High School Transcript
- Copy of ACT/SAT score
- Written reference from clergy that addresses your promise for leadership in a church with Methodist heritage (see list above)
- Written reference from a teacher or person in the church addressing your leadership abilities
Who should apply?
High School seniors who:
- Are members of the United Methodist Church
- Have a 2.75 or above
- Possess the desire for long-term commitment to the United Methodist Church